Saturday, February 04, 2006

Back Home


We are back home, after having spent a week at La Laguna de Santa Maria del Oro, at the campground there. We stayed here and if you go see it you will see how lovely it is.

Here are a dozen reflections on the experience:

1) Mexico has modernized considerably in the last 7 years or so.
2) Better roads, if horribly expensive
3) 'Immigration' was expensive and the paperwork and bureaucracy of the experience, excruciating.
4) The people were decent and hardworking as always.
5) This time we did not have to pour one bucket of water into a toilet, as each toilet we visited flushed properly. Last time, a good half of all toilets always had a bucket of water beside it.
6) Bathrooms still did not have hot-water faucets
7) Almost no toilets allow you to put used toilet paper in the john. Each had a wastebasket for that purpose. I can't help but think that that is a serious way to spread disease. That to me is the number one evidence that Mexico is still a 3rd world country.
8. We found out that Wal-Mart is the #1 employer in Mexico AND they have clean toilets.
9. We went to Burger King. It was not so hot (figuratively speaking) in Mexico
10. We went to VIPS -- which is much like a Denny's Mexican-style, with salsas instead of ketchup, and tortillas instead of bread. Muchas expensive.
11. Nescafe is still the major form of coffee.
12. There is such a thing as "Strawberry Cappucino" -- which is NOT recommended.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting list of experiences in a country one really knows very little about. Should I? Shouldn't I? pack my bags and visit Mexico. I shall read this blog once more before I make up my mind.

Mizgîn said...

Welcome back, Juanita!

Strawberry capuccino? GAAAAAH! The thought alone makes me sick.